Rutgers School of Social Work offers an Advanced Standing MSW option through our Traditional, 100% Online, and Intensive Weekend Programs. The Advanced Standing program is designed for students who have earned a baccalaureate degree in social work from an undergraduate social work program accredited, in the United States or Canada, by the Council on Social Work Education.
Advanced Standing applicants are required to submit the following documents, in addition to the supporting material listed for all MSW applicants:
- A copy of field instructor's evaluation form from the undergraduate placement. If you are currently in an undergraduate field placement during the current spring semester, an interim evaluation should be submitted.
- A reference letter from the BSW Program Director, Field Instructor or Field Coordinator should be included as one of the three required reference letters.
The Traditional/On-Campus Advanced Standing program begins in the summer and is completed in one year.
The Intensive Weekend and 100% Online Advanced Standing programs will begin in the Fall and can be completed in two years.
*All applicants to the Advanced Standing program must have completed a course in Statistics.
What can a Rutgers Master of Social Work do for your career?
With Rutgers, you can get an education with a strong ROI. Your MSW from Rutgers can lead to new career opportunities, higher salaries, and greater responsibilities. In addition, you will have access to competitive tuition rates, great career services, job search support, and field placement assistance to help you find a preceptor in your local area.
Your advanced career starts with an advanced education
Earning your Master of Social Work can help you establish your expertise, expand your reach, and open new opportunities. With the right credentials in an industry projected to grow 12% by 2024, you can go beyond entry-level positions and into advanced roles in many fields, including:
- Medical/Public Health
- Substance Abuse
- Child Welfare
- Correctional Social Work
Curriculum highlightsOur program is responsible for developing some of the most qualified professionals in the field, and that starts with our innovative coursework.
- Graduate in four semesters with the Advanced Standing track available to qualifying students.
- Build your body of knowledge with courses such as Psychopathology, Social Welfare Policy and Services, and Field Education Practicums
- Learn to help victims who are women and children with our online Violence Against Women and Children certificate
- Apply new skills in your workplace immediately
Specialize your degree with a Certificate in Violence Against Women and ChildrenPursue your opportunities in women and child advocacy with our online Violence Against Women and Children certificate. In our certificate program you can:
- Learn to effectively respond to victims of violence and provide resources and support for recovery
- Benefit from specialized advanced field placement in the field of violence against women and children
- Complete your MSW in the same amount of time - our certificate coursework is embedded into the MSW program, which won't extend your degree completion time
- Be exposed to a network of professionals and alumni in the field
The Rutgers Master of Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and satisfies the requirements for licensure in New Jersey. Requirements for licensure vary by state, if you are interested in professional licensure in another state, please check with the appropriate licensing agency in the state where you intend to practice. Social Work licensing requirements by state can be found here.